Monday, April 5, 2010

It's Cherry Blossom Season! A real baby shower with this springtime theme!



I just love surprises! My good friend in Dallas, Christina, recently gave birth to her second baby girl! Since she was having another daughter, she was adamant about not having a baby shower. Well, one of my best friends, "CF", and I were not to be swayed. I declared: "Let's have a bath instead!!!" (Leave it to two lawyers to get specific about terminology!)

So, the secret bath plans were underway. The first order of business was to decide upon a theme. Since we knew Christina was decorating the nursery in chocolate brown and pink, we decided to go with a cherry blossom theme. We found these cute cherry blossom invites at Paper Source. You purchase them blank and print them yourself.
We contacted Christina's husband and mother to gather addresses to send out invites with the secret information. I clocked a few hours searching for the perfect venue. After numerous phone calls and email messages, we selected La Duni restaurant in Dallas at North Park mall to host our small group of ten.

Next, came the decoration plans and favors. I, of course, carried the cherry blossom theme throughout the shower. Since we were in the private room of a beautiful restaurant, the decor was simple. I purchased the coordinating cherry blossom stamp from Paper Source and had a stamping fest!

We had one long table, so I rented brown satin chair sashes to be used as runners from Be Seated in Olathe. I purchased some vellum from a local craft store and free handed cherry blossom branches over the paper. I wrapped the vellum around tall glass candle holders to give the table a nice glow and a hint of cherry blossoms. Unfortunately, I was using my new camera which didn't have very much memory. But, trust me, the table was really cute!!

CF and I had the most difficult time trying to decide what favors to give the guests. We found cherry blossom candles, lip balm, bar soaps and other goodies. Nothing seemed special enough. We brainstormed and decided to experiment with cookies. CF created this awesome chocolate chip and dried cherry cookie recipe. I suggested that we name the cookies "Sophia blossoms"- "Sophia" for the baby's chosen name and "blossoms" to sync with the theme.

We created recipe cards and favor tags, which I drew free hand and hand stamped with cherry blossoms.





For a simple keepsake, we chose to do a picture mat signature board. I free handed the cherry blossoms on this as well.


We managed to get to Dallas with our Sophia blossom cookies, cherry blossoms centerpieces and sanity in tow! Christina was completely shocked and really touched. She loved the Sophia Blossoms! CF and I had the best time planning this sweet surprise bath for her.

Oh yeah, for dessert, we ordered La Duni's cuatro leches cake. It was complete heaven!!! I cannot wait to get back to Dallas!

No comments: